Saturday, February 28, 2009

if i were laid off i would visit my local library

the other day i had off of work because of this or that federal holiday, and i walked by my neighborhood library and i thought to myself, "ooooh, i'll finally go into my local library!" but then i realized that they were closed due to said federal holiday, which was the reason i was able to be there during typical library hours in the first place. ironic, no?

anyway, according to CNN libraries are thriving during these economic crisis times, people getting free internet taking free classes, etc etc. isn't the library swell? so i ask you, why then will our budget most likely be slashed in the coming months?

this leads me to wonder if we will ever get to the point of laying off librarians. i hate to say it, but i'm a little jealous of some of these people getting laid off. please blog readers, don't think i'm crass or tactless. i certainly feel sorry for those people who are supporting familes and really need their jobs and whatnot. but with my beloved bolshevik about to gleefully depart for weeks of travel and adventure, i can't help but daydream about what it would be like if i was out there jobless (banished from the paradise) with nothing but a credit card to sustain me. oh, le sigh.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dangerous words: only a credit card to support me. very dangerous! i lurrve my local libraries, too. yay for them.

*Bitch Cakes* said...

You musn't give up the Paradise! The library needs you more than ever, given the record number of patrons turning to you. Let Conor have his layoff induced adventures and you can live vicariously through him.

Peonys said...

i hear you... having a job really does cramp on one's world-traveling lifestyle.